The High School phase was launched in 2007. Classes average between 6 and 12 learners. Personal attention is a luxury we can afford!
The High School Phase comprises two stages:
- the General Education and Training (GET) stage, which consists of Grades 8 and 9, with a school exit opportunity at the end of Grade 9; and
- the Further Education and Training (FET) stage, consisting of Grades 10 to 12, with the Independent Examination Board (IEB)’s National School Certificate (NSC) or Matric examination as the culmination of the schooling experience.
GRADE 8 – 9:
High School life is vastly different from the Preparatory School in the sense of discipline, work load and tempo. We do our best in assisting the Grade 8s’ transition by running an induction programme with them for the first two weeks of the year. Their academic proficiency and standard is monitored closely and problems are identified. The existing student body bond with the new learners during break times and the group is exposed to high school life systematically.
The group goes on a team building excursion in the beginning of the school year, and graduates as full-fledged members of Waterberg Academy at the first Senior Social within the first month.
- English Home Language
- Afrikaans First Additional Language
- Life Orientation(Citizenship, Personal Well-being, career choices, group dynamics, etc.)
- Natural Sciences (a combination of Biology and Pure Science)
- Arts and Culture (incorporating dance, music, fine arts and drama)
- Human and Social Sciences (combining Geography and History subject content)
- Economic and Management Sciences (a combination of business economics, economics and accounting, with emphasis on entrepreneurship)
- Technology (a combination of manual skills, varying from handyman projects to cooking)
Grade 9 is the year of subject choices. We guide our learners into choosing subjects for Grades 10 to 12 that will keep as many career and further training doors open to them as possible. We write aptitude tests to determine natural skills and knowledge. FET subjects are an extension of certain learning area contents in grades 8 and 9. All subject choices are made after informed discussion with the learner and the parents.
GRADE 10 – 12
During the Grade 9 year, pupils spend time exploring individual interests and research careers. A psychological aptitude assessment is carried out to help the pupils in the choice of subjects for the National Senior Certificate. This is based on their strengths, aptitude and interests, with a focus on the requirements at tertiary level.
As an IEB registered exam provider, the school offers a selection of choice for subjects to matric level.
Currently the school offers the following choice subjects in a variety of combinations up to matric.
Mathematics, Mathematical Literacy, Life Sciences, Physical Sciences, Geography, History, Hospitality Studies and Business Studies. From this list, learners need to choose three subjects and either Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy. This list is annually revised the needs of our learners.
Every effort is made to provide pupils with a strong environmental background and awareness. This is supplemented with visits to nearby game farms where courses are conducted in both Leadership and Environmental Awareness.
Senior Social Life
We offer a variety of social opportunities for our high school learners. The Valentine’s Ball and dance functions are always popular. For culturally we participate in Poetry and Senior Quiz evenings. We host an annual Waterberg Academy Arts Festival in which our pupils have plenty opportunities to display and hone their theatrical, writing and speaking talents.
Academic achievements over last few years
- Dux award student was accepted into Yale University
- In 2017 Waterberg Academy received the certificate of excellence in Physical Sciences from the University of Pretoria for obtaining a position amongst the top 30 performing schools in Physical Sciences during the 2016 final NSC exams
- 100% pass rate since our first matric class, never under 90% BD pass rate
- NASP Archery is a huge sport in the school. In the High School we have produced 3 Junior Proteas in NASP Archery. They have and will again compete internationally