Dear Waterberg Family
It is with anticipation and excitement that we welcome you to the beginning of the 2020 academic year. Waterberg Academy is alive and well. Pupils are buzzing around and eager to get this year off to a positive start.
I would like to make special mention of our new families joining the Waterberg Academy in 2020. May you experience a warm and comfortable Waterberg welcome.
The good matric results of the class of 2019, and the impressive qualities of our matriculants, remind us once again of the professional educators that we have at Waterberg Academy. Well done to our matric teachers, who with hard work and dedication from our students, achieved a 100% pass rate. We also achieved a record amount of 16 distinctions with three of our subjects rated amongst the top 1% in the IEB
The Grade 8 students (The Guppies) have returned from a successful pre-term camp and have shown both enthusiasm and potential. All our staff members across the school have been busy and productive during the past two weeks, creating readiness to inspire excellence and to ensure that we start the year off on a positive note.
I would like to draw your attention to a few important issues relating to the start of the year.
- School safety and school camps
- Inter house athletics
- Guppy concert
- Future plans
1. School safety and school camps
With the tragedy that happened at Parktown Boys High, we at Waterberg Academy would like to emphasize that we will ensure that all our learners and staff are safe at all times. The following checklist will be completed before any of our learners or staff embark on a school outing.
- The destination of the trip will be well communicated. You will know exactly where your child is going, the address of the venue and all relevant information will be communicated well before the trip.
- A sufficient number of educators will attend the trip. Learners will be under the care of our educators at all times.
- All contact numbers will be communicated daily; communication from the camp via the D6 will be sent out. The school phone will be available for teachers to contact parents. This number will also be communicated before the trip.
- The school will undertake to visit the camp site prior to the school actually going on the camp. We will ensure that all safety precautions are adhered to. The school will sign off on all the activities and ensure the safety of our learners. The school will ask to see all instructor’s certification and qualification. No child will be forced to take part in any activity.
- The school will ensure that a medical aid kit is taken on each trip. The camp site owners are also required to have proper first aid and qualified first aiders.
- Parents will be required to fill in an information form on which important information like medical aid, contact numbers etc will be noted.
2. Inter house athletics
Thank you to pupils, staff and parents who attended our annual inter house athletics meeting. What a marvellous day. The pupils really tried hard and we witnessed some truly great performances.
3. Guppy Concert
Well done to our “Guppies” (Grade 8 learners) on a very entertaining concert. We all relived the movie ‘Grease’ and saw some real talent. Oscars, here comes Waterberg! A big thank you to Mr van der Schyff for putting together the show.
4. Future Plans
Fantastic news is that a sponsor has come on board to build us another classroom. This classroom will be the new venue for our art and culture. It is wonderful to know that we have individuals who are prepared to make a difference in the lives of our pupils.
“As soon as I saw you, I knew a great adventure was about to happen.”