Dear Parents , Staff and Pupils
Herewith please find important communication with regards to the school opening on Monday 8 June 2020.
Waterberg Academy has made the necessary requests to the Head of Department Education in Limpopo Ms KO Dederen for the deviation from the phased return of pupils to school as per the Department of Education. We have adhered to all the protocols set down by the Department including the deep cleaning of all our venues and boarding school. Protective equipment for staff has been handed out and all pupils will be issued with masks upon arrival at school on Monday. We can confidently tick all the boxes on the compliance monitoring tool which has been implemented by the Department of Education.
Classrooms have been re-organised as per the 1.5m distance, sanitisers are available upon entering all venues and thermometres have been issued to the administration, phase heads and boarding school staff for the screening of pupils, staff and visitors. Our COVID 19 team have all been trained to ensure that Waterberg Academy is safe and ready for the return of pupils and staff on Monday. As our school is small and our classes are small, there is no need to split any classes.
What you need to know
• The school academic day for all pupils will start at 08H00 and end at 13H00. The gates will be open from 07H15 and will be locked again at 08H00. At the end of school day, gates will be opened at 12H30 and closed again at 13H45. Parents are please to ensure that pupils are on time in the morning and have been fetched by 13H30. Staff members will be on duty until 13H45 each day. No co-curricular activies are allowed yet. We will re-evaluate once the sporting bodies allow the activities to continue.
• Upon entering the school, please adhere to the road signs that indicate that all vehicles are to keep left. This will take you to the first point of contact where the driver of the vehicle will be screened . Thereafter, please proceed as per signage and keep left. The next drop off point will be outside the Primary school phase, followed by the High school and finally the Junior school. Parents and drivers are requested to remain in the vehicle at all times . Teachers will be on duty to receive and screen the pupils. Once the pupils have been screened and their temperature taken, vehicles can leave the property.
• The pupils will then be escorted to their classrooms and placed in their own safe zone. The safe zone is their own space and no other pupil or staff member can enter their safe zone or space.
• Pupils and staff will be required to wear either a face mask or a face shield for the entire day.
During break, pupils will be allowed outside and staff will be on duty to ensure that social
distancing is adhered to.
• No sharing of stationary or lunches will be allowed.
• Pupils are allowed to wear civvies to school. Parents please make sure that a set of clean clothes is
worn every day.
• Term 2 ends on 26 June 2020 and re opens on 6 July 2020.
• Please ensure that your children have a spare mask with them . They are also welcome to bring
their own sanitiser for personal use.
Face to face learning will start next week and as an additional added value, we will continue with the
remote learning. However, parents please understand that the pupils doing remote learning will need to stay on track with the school. It will be your responsibility to ensure that all assessments and homework is returned on time.
On another positive note, I would like to congratulate one of our past pupils, Lucy Calcott, on her
acceptance into Yale University. We are so proud of her and grateful that Waterberg Academy played a small part in her success.
It is always good to have an attitude of gratitude for the things God has done for us. If we take the time and reflect, we at Waterberg Academy are so grateful for what God has done for us the past two months. All glory and praise to our heavenly father.
Please stay safe.